It’s that time of the year again, and holiday sales have already begun. While many people enjoy shopping, it’s an activity that can come with some risks of injury.
You might wonder what could happen that could leave you with injuries inside of a store. There are a number of things. That’s not where problems begin, though. There are just as many potentially dangerous situations before you even step in the store.
Potential dangers outside your favorite store
Some of the biggest dangers that you face are in parking lots. These include:
- Falling victim to a robbery, assault or other crime due to negligent security or poor lighting
- Having a shopping cart get loose and strike you
- Being struck by a distracted motorist
- Slipping, tripping or falling on icy spots, potholes or uneven pavement
The injury risks that you can face in a store’s or shopping center’s parking lot aren’t the only ones you need to worry about.
Dangers inside the store that can cause injury
Once you walk into the store, the following can pose a risk of injury:
- Unsecured products that can fall on top of you
- Mats or carpeting that is worn or dirty
- Tiling that is uneven, loose or chipped
- Water and other liquids on the floor
These risks can potentially result in catastrophic injuries such as head trauma and paralysis. This is why you need to hold a property owner liable for their negligence that created a dangerous situation. This can help you recover the compensation you need for medical bills and other expenses and damages.